Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Day 8: 31 Days of Living Well & Spending Zero!

So I'm in LA tonight! My sister was passing though Las Vegas on her way to a job interview in LA and invited me to join her and my dad on an impromptu, once in a blue moon, road trip. Everything fell into place. Except this no spending challenge just about convinced me not to go. This brings up an important subject I a haven't addressed yet about this challenge that is clearly stated in the title of the challenge... LIVING WELL!

I thought about not going because I wanted to be really committed to this challenge. But I began thinking I can still work on spending zero or less than I normally would on this trip. So I didn't let it hold me back. So I'm here in LA blogging, and missing my baby boy. It's the first time I've been away from Jack since he was conceived! It's so different being away from him and I miss his little face and soft, kissable, cheeks already! But it's been nice to get away and be just one person for a minute, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, where was I... So now that I am in LA on this impromptu, road trip, extravaganza, job interview, fun time... Whatever you want to call it I'm going to try and implement my frugal travel skills / rules I have experience doing from my previous low budget adventures to this trip. Some of the rules I'm going to stick to are: buying food at the grocery store instead of eating every meal at a restaurant. Order water at restaurants. Carry fruit for snacks so I'm not tempted to buy convenience foods. Check out what free things we can do before heading to the things that are most advertised. Get out and walk around. There are usually more things to experience if you slow down a bit and just take in your surroundings.

Do you have any tricks or tips to save money on road trips?

Today's challenge was to get ready to clean! :) I actually did this without even knowing I was doing today's assignment. I picked up the kitchen counters, did the laundry, picked up a lot of the clutter around the house and I left for LA feeling pretty good I was leaving Brady with a house he might not go crazy in while I was away. So hopefully when I get back home everything will still be in order so I can jump right into cleaning. Luckily I have a small condo so it's fast to clean.

I really think this is a great assignment for me. When my home is cluttered or if I'm feeling stressed out at home I find it a comfort to be able to go to the store to find something to help remedy the situation. But I just need to get down to the nitty-gritty and do some major cleaning and organizing the spaces in my home. Having an organized home will make it a place where my brain can relax.

Do you find yourself spending when your stressed in your home?




1 comment:

  1. Kelly, I am enjoying reading about your experiences with this challenge. I also face a similar dilemma when I think I'm not spending very much, or that I don't really like shopping, but then I look back at my spending history for the month, and clearly that isn't the case. Nice to know I'm not the only one in denial. :)

    ReplyDelete