Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Day 7: 31 Days of Living Well & Spending Zero!

One week down! I have a new view on spending and I feel like it is a great way to feel. Today Brady and I went to the store to get some essential items like milk... Brady's main "essential" were cookies :)  We did make a list of the few items we needed and it was really hard to stick to it. But we did it. Brady was trying to convince me that sometimes you don't know that you need something until you see it in the store. But I stood my ground and we only got the things on our list. Before this challenge I thought I was doing good at sticking to a list but I don't think I did it 100%. It's pretty hard. I challenge you to try it.

The scariest part of starting this challenge was telling people about it. There are probably a lot of people who think this challenge is silly or think there is a better way of learning more about managing spending habits and its scary to think people are judging me for doing this. But I am learning how to get passed possible judgments and just try to do what makes me happy. 

The thing I am most excited about participating in this challenge is probably finding out how little we can actually live without. What is the lowest amount we can live on? 

The biggest struggle for me is figuring out what to make for dinner. This is always a struggle but I had the convenience of running to the store when I finally decided on a recipe and I didn't have some of the ingredients. But with this challenge I have to find recipes that have ingredients that I already have or make substitutions. It's a way of expanding my list of recipes.  

I cheated a couple times. Day one in fact was a bad start to a no spending month but I learned from it and I think that's the biggest part about his challenge. So I didn't get discouraged about it and I moved on so I  could have the momentum to continue through the rest of the month. 

The most surprising thing about this month was seeing how much I do enjoy spending money! I like it a lot especially if I can get a good deal on something. Writing this down hit me even stronger. I kind of feel like I have been in denial about spending and thinking I was only buying things we needed. It's helped me to see I have other things that I like to do that will be a lot more beneficial to my family and myself that don't require me spending anything. Walking to the Park or finding a new park has been Jack's and my favorite morning activity. We bring our snacks and water and we get to spend a couple hours outside together playing. It's been a fun time for us both! Also, I've been finding community events more appealing. Usually they are free and they are going on all the time.  

That's pretty much all I have for week 1. Let's see what day 8 holds...

1 comment:

  1. Kelly, the older I get, the less I care about what other people think. It’s very freeing when you have the courage to do what is best for you and your family, regardless of what other people think. I am proud of you for taking on this challenge and think you are very brave for doing so. You will learn a lot. During the depression people learned what they could live without because they had to. You are doing it by choice. Like you, figuring out what to make for dinner is still a big struggle for me. Getting a good deal on something is something I love to do too.

    ReplyDelete