Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Day 1: 31 Days of Living Well & Spending Zero!

On the 31 Days of Living Well and Spending ZERO challenge site today's assignment is to set the ground rules. The following are my Ground Rules:

Grocery or Toiletry items I/We MAY buy this month:
-Fruits/Veggies that otherwise would have gone bad by the end of the month.
-Milk

Things I/We have already committed to paying for this month:
-Going out to eat while my parents are in town
-Family outings with my parents
-Outing with Friends
-Normal Monthly bills
-Gas (try to keep it to one fill up)

Things I/We may absolutely NOT purchase this month:
-Fast Food
-Clothing
-Movies
-Restaurants for convenience
-Fountain Drinks
-Internet shopping

Other Rules/Notes:

Today's Recap:

Today has been pretty much a success! I say pretty much because we spent some birthday cash on dinner... I feel sorta bad about it but I feel better than I would if I wasn't flexible in this situation. We were meant to eat dinner over at Brady's parents house but they decided on inviting more of the family over and opted to get taco's because there wouldn't have been enough food to go around. I was trying to figure out a way to gently break it to my in-laws that I wouldn't be able to eat what they were having. But I feel like there would be awkwardness with them trying to buy my dinner for me or them feeling bad they changed their plans. So I decided to just go with the flow on this one. I did it consciously though, and I talked it over with my husband before as well. We decided for anything we think we need to spend money on this month we would talk with the other to see if they would yea or nay. This way we can step back and think if it is really something we need.

Tonight's dinner situation brings up a tip for anyone who might be trying this challenge in the future. Make sure those you hang out with know you are doing a no spend month. It will save you from awkward moments and I feel like people will be more willing to work with your goal especially if it's not sprung on them.

I made another observation today; I am feeling urges to spend money. This is probably because I am consciously not trying to spend money. This is a great eye opener! It's like my brain is programmed to find ways to spend money. For instance I was folding laundry and some of our washcloths were looking a little worn and dingy none of them match and I immediately thought... "I bet it wouldn't be too much money to buy a new pack of washcloths" and I started thinking about where I wanted to go and get some new washcloths. How nice it would be to have NEW washcloths. But I really don't need them! I have lived this long with old washcloths and I probably could live much much longer without buying new ones. If I had this thought last month I probably would have a brand new stack of crisp white washcloths under my sink right now.

Even after one day I noticed a change in my thinking that I feel will be a powerful way of thinking going forward. Have any of you had urges to spend or noticed something about the way you are starting to think?

No comments:

Post a Comment